March 14, 2015
Working a full time job at Sputnik while maintaining freelance partnerships got a little too much for me at times. I'd wake up around 8:30am, drive to the downtown office, work my full day at Sputnik, drive home around 5:30pm, eat dinner with the family, put the girls to bed, and then work till midnight or more on freelance projects. I noticed a lot of time spent staring at the computer screen late at night getting lost in thought. I think my brain wanted (or needed) to take a break. I wasn't working out at all anymore and felt drained all the time. I was depressed.
After reading the book Choose Yourself, I set out to create a better schedule for myself. In the book, author James Altucher writes how he wakes up early every morning for work before anyone else and eats "brain food" (eggs and bananas). I thought I'd give that a try.
For the past 4 weeks my schedule looks more like this:
- 5:00 am - Wake up, work out, eat small breakfast
- 6:00 am - Write blog post
- 6:15 am - Drive to downtown office (traffic free)
- 6:30 - 9:30 am - Work on freelance projects
- 9:30 am - 6:00 pm - Work my full day at Sputnik
- 6:30 - 9:00 pm - relax and spend time with the family
I'm much happier and healthier with this schedule. My days are full of accomplishments and I have time in the evenings to unwind.